Wednesday, April 30, 2008

All clear and help for a friend

Thank you so much to all of you who posted to my blog or sent emails asking about me. I really appreciate it. I was really worried there for a while. On Monday I went to my awesome internist in Houston Dr. Muntz. He took blood, looked me over and gave me antibiotics, an anti-dizziness med, migraine meds and a nausea medication. I am still having issues with vertigo / dizziness but don't have that nauseated feeling all the time. Looks like I am going to make it!! A nurse called me Tuesday morning to let me know that I didn't have anything weird come up in my blood tests but to make sure I kept drinking Gatorade and kept hydrated.

Now I'm just making the round and trying to see everyone. Cyr is here until this Saturday so I will spend most of my time with him since I won't see him again until June 2nd when I return to Lille. I was telling him how I am going to miss speaking, or trying to speak French, and he bought me the coolest gift!! It's a language package called Instant Immersion. It has like 300 lessons and even had a think that can listen to you pronounce words then will tell you if you are close or not. I'm excited to use it. Maybe I can learn a few things before I return.

It's strange but normal to be back. The first few days I kept saying "merci" to people when they would give me a glass of water or my meal or hold a door open. I think the funniest one was when I was in the airport in Houston and some guy wanted me to apply for a US Airways credit card and I told him in French that I didn't speak English. What was so funny was that he believed me! HA!

On an important note: I received an email from a sorority sister of mine about one of the girls we went to U of H with. Vicki S. (now Vicki W.) and her family (two boys 5 and 3 years) live in a suburb of Houston and her house was struck by lightening last week. The family got out ok but the house burned down and they lost everything including their cars. Send me an email or post to this blog if you would like to help Vicki and her family out with toys or gift cards. I'll post again to let you know how things are going with them.

Yes - I was in a sorority (Alpha Chi Omega) at the University of Houston. You know what? The girls were and still are great. No snobby types in AX. Most of us had jobs and had to pay for our own schooling. Don't judge too quickly please!

No comments: