Thursday, April 17, 2008

Interesting facts, Part II - French TV

"Sherif, Fais-Moi Peur!"
Translation: "Sheriff, Scare Me!" (sort of "I dare you to scare me Sheriff!')
Reality: The French title of "The Dukes of Hazzard"

I can see the big green monster that goes by the name "Jealousy" rearing it's head as you read this. Yes my friends, it is true. I do have the ability, dare I say opportunity, to watch the Duke boys in all their tight jeaned glory race around in the General Lee while speaking French. Please, I ask again, please...if you are feeling a little down right now. Just click and listen to the intro of "Sherif, Fais-Moi Peur!" You can't help but smile. Really, the French have some great music, but country really isn't one of their strengths. It is so hard to sound tough while singing in French.

Feel free to bookmark this video and watch it often.
One of the things you should know about French TV is that they are typically a few seasons behind the US in popular shows. I think this is mainly due to the fact that they do not subtitle. Everything is dubbed. They show "Cold Case" and a few newer shows at night but I have yet to see them. I typically turn the TV on during the day. As is true in the US and must be so in all countries; daytime TV is special. Special meaning not really special but more like "My cousin Jimmy is marrying my other cousin Brenda. Isn't that special?" Not only do they have super cool shows on during the day. They realize, as surly is the case, that just one show really isn't enough. They show 2-4 episodes in a row every day and work through all the seasons. Then they replace the show with whatever is next in the stack. When I first moved here they had 4 episodes of "The Nanny" back to back every day. Did you know they ended the series with Fran having a baby and then the family moved to LA? Yeah...I know. Crazy. I mean, how can she live in LA with that accent and not be laughed at all the time?

So you can imagine my fascination at watching Kelly from Beverly Hills 90210 whine in French. What is even cooler (if that in fact is a word) is that they try to match the voice of the dubber to the actual actor. Thus allowing Kelly to be just as whiny in French as she is in English. This fact in itself will cause you to completely understand why now Sylvester Stallone is a channel stopper. I can't pass him up. The French Sly is hypnotic. Like watching a 4 year old child carry a full glass of red wine to Mommy while walking across a white carpeted room and singing "Y-M-C-A!". Come on...everyone has to dance just a little when you hear it.

I read somewhere that listening to French TV or music can help you get used to the rhythm of the language and can subconsciously help you learn the language quicker. I'm a little leery about what I am going to "subconsciously" learn, but hey, maybe being able to say "Je suis Rosco P Coletrain" will someday help me. Here are a few other daytime shows of note:

Le Prince de Bel Air - go Will Smith!
Magnum - stop...it's Magnum PI you dirty minded folks! "PI" doesn't translate well.
(side note - Tom Selleck is for me the only man I can find sexy with a mustache. All others should refrain from even giving this a try.)
Buffy Contre les Vampires - Sarah Michelle Geller at her best
Les Simpsons - yeah, that guy still does the rude "Ha-hAAA" laugh in French
VIP - Pamela Anderson's boobs are still HUGE in France (so many ways to read that)
Fame - This is the 1982-1987 series that was on TV. This is a new one they started last week with a 4 show back to back viewing a day. I totally forgot that "Aeriel" (Lori Singer) from Footloose was in that show.
Gilmore Girls - oh my gosh...these people talk fast in English. I just sit there with my mouth open and try to catch something they say.
Les Super-Flics de Miami - Miami Supercops. Ha...this is actually a 1985 Italian movie but the title is so funny I had to share. Have not seen it, but it is on tonight so I might have to check it out.
I saw a few Ally McBeal episodes too. Oh that dancing baby...

Well, I'm off to work my subconscious into speaking French! A'bientot dawgs! (In the words of the French Will Smith)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That one should crack you up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badRuS2emc0

And yes, we put lyrics on it... Please allow me to translate (more than the youtube video, but I couldn't find the full one):

Dallas, your ruthless universe
Dallas, glorifies the law of the strongest
Dallas, and under your relentless sun
Dallas, you fear only death

--MUSIC

Dallas, home of the dollar and of oil
Dallas, you do not know pity
Dallas, the revolver is your idol
Dallas, you're hanging to your past

--MUSIC

Dallas, Woe to he who does not understand
Dallas, one day he will lose his life
Dallas, your ruthless universe
Dallas, glorifies the law of the strongest
(x3)

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes, we love to add some lyrics:

Try this one:
Starsky & Hutch - French

Translation:
*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
New knights with great hearts
But never afraid of anything
*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
Two cops a bit dreamers and laughing
But who always win at the end

When the bandits are running
It's a hellish pursuit
But Huggy knows where they are hidden
To stop them

*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
New knights with great hearts
But never afraid of anything
*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
Two cops a bit dreamers and laughing
But who always win at the end


*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
New knights with great hearts
But never afraid of anything

When there is a girl between the two
They accept the rules of the game
But nothing will ever break
Such a friendship


*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
New knights with great hearts
But never afraid of anything
*Starsky and Hutch, Starsky and Hutch*
Two cops a bit dreamers and laughing
But who always win at the end