Friday, July 18, 2008

The end of an era...

Well, today is my last day of French class. I would have never believed that I ever hoped a class would be longer, but I wish I had another week of this class to study!! I have learned so much, but I have not been able to put anything into much practice yet. Although I DID use the Passe Compose in a sentence the other day, that was very exciting for me...nothing like being able to talk about what happened last week eh?

This weekend Cyr and I are taking a weekend trip to Amsterdam to celebrate. We plan to try to speak French more and are even going to make Saturdays "French Days" where he only speaks to me in French. We tried last weekend and it went pretty well! We also speak in French during the week, but it's more casual and he will switch to English when I need him to. I'm hoping that by the time the wedding gets here, October 25th, that I will be able to understand most of what the priest says. Right now I can get the big picture, but I totally loose the details.

Right now I'm off to class and then off to Amsterdam. We are brining a lap top because I want to be able to make some phone calls and send a few emails. It's odd how fast time passes here. I know I have mentioned it before, but it seems that I go to class, come home and by the time we eat it's 10pm. Or 22h for those of you in France. I can not get used to the 24 hour clock here, I am constantly doing math in my head. So I actually speak French AND tell time like a six year old! Not to mention when I shop sometimes I have to look close at the register to see how much it is and hold out my hand for the cashier to pick through my coins. Oh well, at least I keep the Ch'tis entertained.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I totally do that thing with the register as well! Once something is past 60 (the cents always get me!) then I'm totally confused, although I think I'm getting better at it but I really have to stop and think...

Sounds like your class did you a world of good...is it possible for you to enroll in a university course for French as a foreign language in Lille? They have them in Metz but it's too exepensive, about 1000 euros or so for a semester I think, or 700 if you audit it. Everybody tells me though that the university courses are the fastest path to fluency so I'm actually going to save up. So if you have the cash you should maybe have a think about doing that...

It's really nice to read your blog, I relate to it a lot, I think we're really in the same stage language wise so it's refreshing to be able to relate so much to what you're saying!

I'm onto my third tense now, woo! The imparfait....but so far it's really confusing but it's easier to conjugate then the past tense.

Good luck with everything, have a great time in Amsterdam and sorry about the long comment!