Tuesday, January 13, 2009

SOLDES!!! Another Interesting Fact...

For those of you that don't know about the soldes...France being the interesting country it is actually has government regulated sales twice a year. Yeah, you read correctly. The government regulates how often stores can have sales. Wouldn't want to encourage competition you know. Any way, the sales time is now! There are a three weeks in January and then three in the summer. Yes, it's true, the government tells them when they can have huge sales. Wouldn't want to get all capitalist and just run your business the way you want to now would you?

One of the things I really like about the Soldes is that each week there are bigger price cuts. So now things are on sale for 20-50% off, but next week they will be a little more, then the final week it's just bananas!! Here is the best part though, the part that makes me glow from the inside of my left ventricle all the way out to the tips of my slightly dry hair...I'm the perfect size for the sales. That's right ladies. You know how in the states all the 8s, 10s and 12s are GONE by the time things go on sale? Well here it's the 0s, 2s, 4s and 6s that are all sold out first. HA! It's like a Nordstrom's shoe sale and I have a size 6! I actually have a 7.5 so all my sizes in the real world are sold out. :-/ But here I can buy tops and sweaters and coats until the very last day. I have yet to try on pants in this country. Very few of these women have hips and an ass so I am relatively certain mine would explode out the rear pockets. I have great tops though!

So if you are thinking about coming to France to visit...come week after next when things are 75% off. They are practically paying you to take things home! I don't really need anything, but there is this one really cool store I might have to check out. I will keep you all posted on any fantastic purchases...

4 comments:

Isabelle said...

Actually, Susan, the Soldes are until the 10th of February! OK, all the interesting stuff will be gone by this date, but who knows...
And the Soldes are regulated so the big department stores and the smaller shops are equal as far as offering good deals (we don't like the smaller stores being hurt, here, in France)

Very funny post, BTW!

Marie Reed said...

It's so groovy! I am finding so many expats through Leesa's blogroll! You have a peachy blog!

islandgirl4ever2 said...

OMG Marie... You're hopping EVERYWHERE!!! Nice to see you pop up on my friends blogs!!

Susan... I thought this very thing my first and second year here... WOW- controlled sales... Not like, the day after Thanksgiving, day after Christmas,... Labour Day... etc... In the states we have sales on sales... hehehe... I don't really care here - just Thank God they don't have A&F, Target, or DSW anywhere nearby or I'd be in debt!! Sooo true about the pants here-- Girl and you are slim... shoot!!!
I haven't gone shopping for much since living here, as I already have too many clothes as it is...
Anyhow... Love the post ... full of fun humor... Take care!! Leese

Susan in Lille said...

Isabelle - Thanks for the info on the end of the soldes, and that is very interesting about the smaller stores, I would not have thought of that!

Marie Reed - Why thank you! Glad you stopped by!

Leesa - Oh man, I can not imagine the damage I would do with a Target soldes...you are do right. I don't think I will buy much, but it's hard to resist a little splurge...