Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Crudoodle...

Well...I walked all over town again today looking at potential sites for a wedding reception. I found some great places, the problem is they don't allow music at all or you have to stop it at 11pm. Uhh...really?

I'm guessing that is because although all the buildings here are old and beautiful, because of this same fact they are not at all soundproof. They kept telling me that because there were hotel rooms they could not play music. Seriously? You mean you have hotel rooms in this hotel? Why that's outrageous. So I have great ideas for the rehearsal dinner, but I'm at nada for the reception. I think we are going to have to go a little out of Lille, which means we will also need shuttles. Maybe places can supply those things...who knows. I'm going to conquer this thing as much as possible this week.

Right now I'm going to visit my only friend here in Lille. She owns a jewelry shop and I am going to swing by for coffee. I'll call her Friend A. So I'm going to hit Friend A up for some advice on this. Maybe she knows of a place. I'm also excited just to go to coffee with someone. I feel like I'm on a date, I think I'm nervous! Seriously, anyone who has been (or is in) my expat-in-France shoes knows it's hard to make female friends here. Friend A is French but speaks good English. Even if she doesn't have advise I think I have an advert that one of my other friends sent me of a place her cousin got married at that is just outside of Lille. Uh - I hope I can find it...

Oh - I also studied last night for first time since 1993 (sophomore/junior year at UH, Algebra). Thank goodness for Jennie!! I went over her tutorials and I think I might be able to squeak by so that I'm not too, too beginner. I wish it was a conversational placement exam. Actually...I bet part of it is conversation. That would be good for me. Last night I watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy in French and understood a fairly good amount. Of course I don't get ANY medical terms, but I don't get those in English. :-) Plus it helps that they are two seasons behind so I know what is going on. I mean, Dr. Burke is still on the show here! It's like I'm in Back to the Future but instead of having an old sports book from the future it's tv shows. I should make some bets with the locals about the characters and what their futures hold...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Susan the American in France - this is Susan the Australian sometimes in France and sometimes in London (Susan and Simon - Days on the Claise). Just wanted to say hi and say hang in there with the French and the wedding plans - you can do it ! I think it is so sweet that Cyr comments on your blog btw :-))
I was going to email you, but can't see how to do it. If you go into our profile you can email us (should you wish to, of course :-)
Susan